23 May Audra Lamoon’s Business Travel Tips
Audra Lamoon Shares her Business Travel Tips
I don’t know about you but, much as I love travelling for business, it does sometimes leave me feeling tired. I am always keen to hear travel tips from seasoned travellers and caught up with Audra Lamoon to hear hers. Audra is the founder of http://www.livewire-experience.com, delivering consultancy and training to the retail & property arenas, among others, specialising in turning around distressed shopping centres. Audra’s company also consults with launching mixed use schemes, retail & hotels.
Over to Audra…
We are experientalists and our consulting and training is very active and engaging. We always work with the customer/resident/guest in mind…always! I travel to USA mainly, but also Dubai and Europe occasionally. We have business partners in both Holland and Atlanta.
Audra Lamoon’s tips on booking business travel
- Get your PA to do it, and book well in advance
- Check & recheck and by by creating an itinerary
- Check Trip Advisor & the distance from airport to meeting destination. Do you want to be close to your client, or local to town or retail? Check it out!
- Join a frequent flyer prog if you travel a lot: get points & upgrades
- Check if visa and or ESTA is needed & ensure 6 months are left on passport
- Learn basics in foreign language such as hello, goodbye, thank you, wine, chocolate and Taxi
- Get free foreign exchange at post office. Although I sometimes order to before I go with Travellex and it’s at the airport waiting for me with little or no charge.
- Cal the FCO before unsettled countries to see if it’s safe or for cultural advice
Audra Lamoon’s tips for the journey itself
- Pack travel adapters
- Turn off roaming
- Use First Defence cold remedy before flight to stop catching cold on plane
- Wear comfortable and loose clothing
- Hydrate before and during flight – 1 cup for every hour on the plane at least….then cross legs!!!!!
- Leave for the airport early – I prepare for a 2 hour delay!
- Fully charge your laptop phone etc. The US is good as it has charge stations but not all airports do
- Have a packing list that stays in your case so you don’t leave anything behind
Audra Lamoon’s tips for staying in a hotel
- Ask! Ask for free upgrade
- Book early & ask for what you want. US hotels are usually more accommodating, even if not as plush. Be aware that hotel chains are not consistent in all countries.
- Pack tea as US hotels have coffee machines only:(
- I ask for kettle & additional clothes hangers in advance
- Request room away from lift …too noisy
Audra Lamoon’s tips for sleeping on a business trip
- Switch to local time tight away never work out what it really is!
- So adjust to local time & sleep when locals do
- Pack eye shades & ear plugs in case your hotel is on a motorway/ highway
“If you ever ask yourself should I wash my hair – wash your hair! You will feel awful all day if you don’t”
Audra Lamoon’s tip for staying healthy on the road
- Buy bottled water
- Pack fruit and low-calorie health bars
- Wash or peel fruit
- Pack moisturisers (& diacalms if you have a weak tummy )
- Have a change of comfy shoes
- Buy a local phone if in US a lot or Dubai. I have phones for each to make cheap calls & text
Audra Lamoon’s tips for arriving calm, collected and looking good for meetings
- If you ever ask yourself should I wash my hair – wash your hair! You will feel awful all day if you don’t
- Spruce up at airport (some have showers) and brush your teeth
- Use make up and perfume at airports & prepare for meeting in advance to offset jet lag stupidity
- Pack important meeting info in hand luggage for easy access and no panic
- Time your flight to give plenty of time to make meeting: a 2 hour margin again
- Book a driver & car.
You can find out more about Audra here